Tuesday, October 09, 2007

iInvented..iBack!

Since I got my iPod Touch last Tuesday, I've been DESPERATELY trying to find some kind of screen protector for the back of my iPod; because Apple choose to be ignorant fools and continue producing iPods with the oh-my-goodness-that's-so-beautiful-reflective-aluminium-back-surface even though they received numerous, no wait, MASSIVE complains and feedbacks from their customers that the surface scratches TOO easily.

I agree that it is really beautiful and you could use the back surface as a vanity mirror when you're feeling a tad too vain, but in terms of practicality, you can't even put it down on your desk without fearing you'll leave a scratch on the oh-my-goodness-that's-so-beautiful-reflective-aluminium-back-surface!!

So, back to the screen protector. Like I said, I was really desperate to find something to protect the back, I searched high and low for it. All the way from Midvalley, to 1 Utama, to Lowyat, to Sungei Wang, but no where is selling anything like these for the iPod Touch yet. So in the end I just got myself the iPod Socks to keep my iPod in it. I could do the iPod Gella Skin, where they stick those design stickers onto your iPod surface, but that would completely cover the reflective surface and defeats the purpose of it.


Now, that was last week. But today, when I was digging through the store-room at my HQ, I found a stack of old LCD camera screen protector!!


When I saw this, I asked myself why can't I use something like this and stick it onto the back of my iPod? It could work, since these kind of screen protector sticks onto any smooth and clean surface, so I decide to "steal" a stack of this LCD screen protector for 3.5" LCD screens (since my iPod Touch screen is 3.5", so the width should be about the same).

After cleaning and polishing the back of my iPod surface thoroughly..
After measuring, adjusting, and cutting the film properly...
Carefully peeling out the protective film layer....
Slowly stick a small area first, and then force out air bubbles as I stick down more of the film...

After about 5 minutes of careful sticking....

Voila!!
My very own DIY screen protector for the back surface of my iPod Touch!!


DIY screen protector!! For the back of my iPod Touch. I shall call it..iBack!

If you noticed, I've to use 2 piece of the 3.5" film. 1 full piece, and another cut half, and then cut according to the WiFi antenna as the film can't stick to non-smooth surfaces.

So it is not as nice as the original iPod protective film. But hey!! At least it will do what I want it to do, I saved at least RM50, and a whole lot more of scratches if I choose to wait until iPod finally come out with their own one!!


For those of you who want me to help you do something like this on your iPod, do contact me! I don't mind doing it for you..(when I have free time).

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

<< Home