Thursday, August 31, 2006

Broken Bridges...a MUST watch musical!

Urgent Update/correction: Very sorry for the wrong information. Broken Bridges on the 3rd of September, Sunday (last performance) will only have ONE performance at 3.00p.m.!!



Broken Bridges, The Musical. Catch it at KL Pac, Pentas 1 by 3rd September!!


A few of the casts in Broken Bridges

The first time I heard or get to know about this musical is actually off the bulletin boards in my college, it looked interesting, since Douglas Lim is one of the main cast (the dude who acts in Kopitiam) and so is Colin Kirton (but I didn't know this until later). To be honest, I wasn't very keen on going, because at first I thought if I've seen one musical, I've seen it all already.

But at the end I also decided to go, after I found a few people to teman me. I was thinking how bad could it be?? Since there was so many publicity of this musical all over Malaysia, even the trailer of this musical is shown on TV.

KLPac building alone is already something to shout about. I did not know about this place until yesterday when I went there, for photographers, the building itself and it's lightings will be a really nice subject to shoot, make sure you bring your tripod though!

As I enter Pentas 1 in KLPac, honestly, I was very impressed, the whole place was very artistic, simple and nice, and not to mention it is huge too. Knowing me, the first thing I noticed is the mixing cosole behind, again, I was stunned. For those who know, they have a full blown Yamaha PM5D-RH digital mixing console for front of house mixing and a Midas Heritage 3200 mixer for mixing the instruments!!! WOW!! Instantly my reaction was to look around, and I was right, full 5.1 channel surround speakers set up flown from the ceiling!! First impression tells me that the sound is going to be excellent..and I was right.

So how is the musical?? 3 words.. VERY VERY GOOD!! The script of this musical is very well written, and you should also know that it is written by a 22 year old and a 19 year old guy (at the time when they wrote finish this script), Lim Chuang Yik and Teng Ky-Gan is their names. The whole time, the musical is very entertaining and exciting, most of the time the stage is always filled with people, with smaller group all around doing their own things (which is also interesting and funny) when the main cast would be singging. All their timing is so good and they never clash with each other too. Scene changes is so fluent you won't even noticed it most of the time. The music and the band is nothing short of spectacular too, all their timing was so perfect and sync perfectly to what is happening on stage, until we thought the music was actually pre-recorded in a studio, but we were wrong. All their voices is also good, and no such thing as "chow yam" in this musical. Mixing of all the voices and instruments is also excellent, voices came from the center channel in the middle as it should, crisp and clear, and music came from the side channels, and effects came from behind when it should. Really really good live mixing, 2 thumbs up for Michael Thomas, the sound engineer for this musical.

So what is this musical about?? *WARNING!! POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!* The story is set in Ipoh town, where a boy "Ming" (Douglas Lim) wanted to venture out into the world and achive his passion, while his father, "Wong" (Colin Kirton) actually wants him to take over his Ipoh White Coffee shop business, hoping to pass it down to him. But "Ming" refused his father request, stating that this isn't what he wants and it is not a real ambition. So he heads down to KL to work as a contractor. 10 years later when he returned, he finds Ipoh still the same, and he came back to actually convert the Marketplace into a 12 story building, and relocating all the people there to a new place, and also compensating them with money. At the same time, he also found someone he love back here in Ipoh, but unfortunately, things became ugly.....

I won't finish the story, go watch the whole thing, and it is really a musical you won't regret, the RM40 for student price is really worth it. I will summarized this musical as a father and son r'ship and a love story which turned ugly, and I forgot to mention it is quite funny too!

By the way, for those who are planning to go, the play is at 8.30p.m. in KLPac everyday UNTIL 3rd of September, means THIS SUNDAY is your LAST CHANCE to catch it!! Anyway for those who will be going, PLEASE let me know first, might want you to help me get their CD.



Click on the picture to go to the official website.

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

<< Home