Friday, October 26, 2007

Seriously...not another geek update again?!?!

FOR SALE!!

For Sale! My (used) Edifier S2.1M

Like what the HUGE words on top says, I'm selling my Edifier S2.1M speaker system! I've only used it for no more than 3 months, and I can assure you that it is in pristine condition! Not a single scratch, and definitely haven't dropped any of the satelites before!

The reason why I'm selling it is because I've already replaced it with something better, so their just sitting at a corner collecting dust. For those who know me well, I change speakers more often than changing the jeans I wear!! I actually bought this to "test" it out, but I soon got attached to it and sold of my Edifier R1900TIII and Edifier C2 instead, as this S2.1M was the best speaker I ever had for music playback.

Anyway, I'm selling this not more than 3 months old speaker system for only RM300!! And trust me, this is a STEAL!! A brand new unit cost anywhere from RM399 to RM429!! Don't believe? Head on over to LowYat and see for yourself! Mine is almost as good as new, It's full box, even with all the original cable ties and plastic bags that came with it. Pictures below..





So if you're interested, PM me or call me at 012-6322252 to let me know. Or if you're too shy, can even e-mail me at jefflim65@gmail.com. Or if you're lonely and need a companion (apply to girls only!!), add me in MSN at jeffrey_lim65@hotmail.com.

-----
New speakers..

For those who bothered to read what I have to say on top, you will be wondering right about now what on earth did I buy this time?? Another, newer Edifier model? Or maybe I've changed to another brand? Or did I really get that SonicGear APOCALYPX valve speaker system I was very interested in??

SonicGear APOCALYPX A10

Well, the answer is no, yes and no!

After many uncountable sleepless nights, and after many thoughts and consideration put into this, and after reading about 123456789 reviews for around 987654321 different type of speakers (of course exagerating la!!),
I finally decided to get this....

The Acoustic Energy Aego M music system. Ohh..sexy betul!!

If you're asking yourself: "What on earth is this brand and where on earth is it from??", then don't worry, you're not the only one! Honestly I'm also not very familiar with this brand. I heard of this brand before from a high-end Hi-Fi magazine for it's Reference series speakers, but only last year did I found out they also make iPod speaker system.

Acoustic Energy or better known as "AE" is a speaker brand all the way from UK. It's not very popular here mainly because of its high price, and also because there are other more popular and afordable Hi-Fi brands like Marantz, KEF, B&O, and etc.. I first heard of this Aego M speaker system from some website I stumbled across last year. I read the review for it and it gave a very goood rating, but I didn't really follow up with it cause I thought it would be too expensive to get it here in Malaysia. Then, a few months back when I was browsing through LowYat forum audio section, I found a thread dedicated to this speaker system! To my surprise there are actually a number of users for this model here in Malaysia. Again, I didn't really pay much attention as I thought maybe they import in themselves or something, and was too lazy to find out where they got it from.

But when I was flipping through this month's "Stuff" magazine. I realised they were testing and voting for the best speakers for your PC. And to my surprise, they also featured this AE Aego M speaker system, and also voted it the best system among all others on review!! Now when "Stuff" says that a product is good, it normally is! So I start researching a little and to my surprise, this speaker have won an unbelievable amount of awards from different magazines and reviews since last year! "WHAT HI-FI?" even vote it as the Best Desktop Speaker last year! I was sold instantly, I knew I have to get this, especially after reading more reviews over the internet. There were literally only good and positive comments on this product! So I contacted a friend who deals with professional audio products, and he managed to find one unit for me, at a very very good price!


HUGE and heavy box!

So after waiting only 3 days, I got this. I was shock when I first saw the box, as it was even bigger than my old Logitech 4.1 THX certified speaker system with a 550Watts RMS rating subwoofer!


What's in the box.

AE is definitely very generous with their cables. Unlike other China brands speaker system *coughEDIFIERcough*, AE bother to supply their customers with high quality (and also very very long) speaker cables, and also high quality RCA interconnects. Making it a truly out of the box, everything you need and simple to set up Hi-Fi system for your desktop!

While setting it up, I was quite skeptical about how it would sound. The satelite speaker are really way too small, even though their heavy and feel's very solid, but it seems really too small to deliver any good sounds.

Mini satelite speakers. My Surefire torchlight looks like some mafia next to it!

From my past experienced, small satelite speakers with single drivers normally sound VERY disappointing. What's worst, I discovered that the mini drivers behind the cloth cover are oval shape speakers!! Not your normal perfectly round speaker drivers. Again, I once owned a pair of B&O bookshelf speakers which uses oval speaker drivers, and if I remembered clearly, it sounded...normal!

But another thing I realised is the size, or more like the height of the subwoofer! It's tall!! Very tall!! It's about three quarter the size of your average plastic chair!! And you can see very clearly, again, it also uses oval shape speaker driver for it's subwoofer.

TALL subwoofer!

After spending about 30 minutes to set this up and aligning my satelite speakers properly, I sat myself comfortably down at the centre, and was (honestly) preparing for the worst.

So, how did this RM899-weird-looking-speaker-barely-anyone-heard-of-before-with-very-small-oval-shape-satelite-speakers sounded??

Three words..eh no..I mean letters...

O-M-G!!!

Even before letting it run-in or even warm up, the first song I played on this speaker was "Me And Mrs. Jones" by Michael Buble, and for that whole 4 minute and 34 seconds of that song, I was stunned and speechless and just stared at the speaker in disbelief. First thing that struck me was this speaker really sounded STUPIDLY huge! If I were to let someone audition this speaker with a blind-fold on, I can guarantee they will guess that the sound is coming from a much larger speaker, at least of bookshelf size! Another thing that struck me was it's amazing sound stage, it's almost sound as though I was sitting right in the middle of the hall of Michael Buble's concert. I definitely did not expect the sound stage to be this good, since the speaker is aiming up towards the ceiling.

As the days past and after running in and warming up, it gradually gotten "warmer", and now it is so comfortable to listen too. I'm really in shock. Trying to figure out how they managed to get the crossover point so perfect between the satelite and subwoofer is beyond my knowledge. This 2.1 speaker system doesn't sound anywhere close to a 2.1 system, it sounded like a proper bookshelf speaker with the ability to recreate bass notes really really low and deep!

It's really hard to find any fault with this speaker, no matter how hard I try. Just like the Shure earphones, this speaker system is all about clarity. It's not bias in any-way to any frequencies! The overall sound produce by this speaker is very very smooth. It's almost like cutting through butter with a razor sharp surgical knife. It's very comfortable to listen too and it doesn't caused fatique even after listening to it for long periods of time at high volumes. Everything is there at the right level, even the bass, it can reach amazingly low notes. It's not loud or boomy, it's..just right..perfect! It goes very low and attacks really fast, so you feel it more than actually hearing it, which is what a subwoofer should really do! However, I did realize there's a very SLIGHT minor flaw when I was playing back "Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta & Steve Gadd" drum solo battle, I noticed that the subwoofer didn't really keep up with the satelites when all three drummers keep on constantly doing double bass, hence it sounded quite messy and all over the place. But then again, like I said, it's just a minor flaw and you've to listen very closely to noticed it, and to be honest I'm sort of comparing it with my single driver Shure SE210 earphones.

Throw any kind of music to it, and I can guarantee you'll fall in love with this set! From heavy metal to slow instrumental music, it does everything well, infact, too well for it's asking price of only RM899!! It may seem alot considering the average PC speaker nowadays is only about RM200-RM300. And for RM500, you can get quite a good and powerful 5.1 speaker for your PC. But please do realise that you can't compare the RM300 speakers with this. This is for people who uses their PC as their main source of music, like I do, this is actually almost entering to the Hi-Fi category already.

So if you're planning to change your PC speaker soon, and want something really good and comfortable to listen too and also make it worth every cent of your hard-earned money (or to some people, their parents hard-earned money), then I highly recommend that you consider this. Search "Acoustic Energy Aego M" on Google and read some of the too many good reviews all over the internet. And then when you're finally convinced that you should get one and already very tempted to buy, give me a call and I can let you audition my set, and then let me convinced you some-more by telling you that I'm selling a brand new unit for only RM7XX!!

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

<< Home