Thursday, August 09, 2007

Finally an update on (my) life since 18th February 2007

Hi!

Ok this is weird, I don't really know/remembered how to blog.

Hi everyone, I finally found the time to update my humble blog. Ok, to be honest, I'm actually too bored, I've no work to do, I run out of technology websites and blogs to visit and I can't sleep at all thanks to my favourite teh tarik!

Anyway, I think I'll start blogging (regularly) again, I'll try to find some time in my life to rant about all my life's misery right here for the world to read.


So, a little (Q&A) update on what I've been up too since 18/2/2007. (These are the few questions people tend to ask me once in awhile)

What have you been doing since February?
Nothing much. Only..working.

Where?
I work for a company called NAND Digital Sdn Bhd. The office is in Cheras and JB.

And what are you working as?
Currently I'm managing and supervising the IT retail devision, "Supercom IT House" for this company.

Exactly what do you do?
Everything. I more or less have multiple positions for now. I'm like the marketing cum sales executive cum operations cum technician cum technical advisor, and many many more. But main thing is I've to manage the IT Retail devision and make sure is making money!

You're only 19. Not many company will let a 19 year old manage a whole devision. What made them choose you?
When I started off, It was only supposed to be a part-time job to fill my time before University starts in July. I started off only as a retail sales person cum technician, base in Digital Mall. But after the first month, I improved total sales by 437%, and the second month up to 514%. I turned the whole devision around and started making profit for them. After that I was asked to join them and take over and lead the retail devision.

So what are your plans then?
Currently we only have one retail outlet, a 96 sq ft kiosk in Digital Mall. Everything else we are more or less doing wholesale or corporate sales. We're planning to open more outlets around to get higher sales volume. Currently we already found a new shop-lot in Taman Maluri, Cheras and going to start renovation soon, hopefully this will open by end of this month. Planning to open around 2 to 3 more kiosk outlets by end of this year. Other things in store is we are also planning to start a whole new CCTV devision, which will also be under me, but will be starting small and only targeting homes or smaller shop lots, the idea is to bring cheap CCTV systems to everyone homes. Also in discussion is to open a cyber cafe, but this will most probably be pushed to next year unless we have exceptional response in our new outlet.

Kiosk? Can you actually do IT hardware business with a kiosk outlet?! There are so many hardware and keeping stocks would be a nightmare!
You'll be surprise. I myself laugh at the idea too, I couldn't believe IT hardware business in a kiosk can be profittable until I actually got involve. The things we sell in our kiosk outlet are of course smaller items, mostly computer accessories like thumbdrive, external hard-disk, webcams, blank CDs/DVDs, mouse, hubs, memory cards, MP3 player and etc. I have actually more then 100 different products in my kiosk alone, and surprisingly these things are very sellable! But of course we will also start selling motherboards, graphic cards, monitors and etc when we open our shop lot in Tmn Maluri. At least there we have much more space to do PC sales.

So do you enjoy your work? Wait, how about studying? Now is already August!
Yes, I love my work. I love it because I'm good at it and I'm always interested in computer and technical stuff since young.
About studies, I plan to take a break from studying this year and continue with my work. Currently 30% of Supercom is mine and so I hope to build it up, is like my baby. We'll see how later on, I might go back to studying if things doesn't turn out the way I want it to be.

Why do you want to stop studying and start working at such a young age? Don't you think getting a degree first is much more important? Are you in desperate need of money?
I agree that getting a degree is important. Yes it will give you security and with this degree certificate, you can at least get a decent job with a minimum pay starting from around RM2-3k the moment you start working. And most probably your pay will increase only to as much as the market are willing to pay you for the studies you took, unless, you are exceptional in your field or you have alot of contacts.
For me, is abit different. Firstly, I really hate studying. More than your normal teenager-hate-studying type of person. I hate it because no matter how hard I try, I can't be good at it. And now when I'm presented with what it seems to be a better option, I'm willing to risk it and take this oppurtunity. But the main thing is, I HAVE this oppurtunity. Another thing is, I can't accept the idea of only starting from scratch at the age of 25 years old, by the time I earn enough and have a comfortable life most probably I'll be in my mid 30s already, how to earn enough money to get married and start a family in 5-10 years?? I don't know about you, but I can't. So I rather start now if I have the chance.
And no, I'm not in desperate need of money. I actually don't need the money, not yet at least. Now I work because I love my job, and I'm trying my best to be as successful as I can, and to make my business successful.

So currently what's going on at work?
PC Fair just finished and I must say I'm quite satisfied at that. First time I've ever been involve in PC Fair and I've to sort of handle everything already. It was an unbelievable experienced, it was really good. The response was good too. Sold out many things by the second day, couldn't believe it! Anyway will do it bigger and better for year end, can't wait for it. Other then that, current project on going is a CCTV security system + magnetic door access + 150 computers + networking for SAE new office and aeroplane hanger in KLIA itself. All I can say is this is HUGE and involve alot and alot of money. How big? Office block itself is already 46k+ sq ft! Indoor hanger can fit 8 Airbus aeroplanes, and a much bigger outdoor aeroplane parking area, all have to be "seen". Stress!


So that's all for now, finally sleepy. Will update some more again soon! Here are some pictures of my booth at PC Fair =).



First & second day


Last day



Amazing amount of rubbish after PC Fair.

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

<< Home